Napsac Security

napsacsecurity

MIDWEEK NATION. WEDNESDAY, MARCH 4, 2020. 19

TIGHT SECURITY is in effect for the National Primary Schools’ Athletics Championship (NAPSAC). Organisers of the junior track and field meet are not taking chances at the National Stadium, introducing scanners along with a stop and search system to ensure patrons are safe.
When athletes and parents turned up yesterday for the NAPSAC quarter-finals, there were long lines at the main entrance gate as spectators waited to be checked. It’s the first time the scanners and stop and search security measures have been implemented for the event at the Waterford, St Michael facility.


Largest number
Chairman of NAPSAC, Mona Alleyne, told MIDWEEK SPORT an increase in spectatorship prompted officials to tighten security for the venue. “For the quarter-finals the numbers are greater at this time because you know we had the five zones meets and the persons going forward would make up for the quarter-finals. Now we are here, this is the largest number of athletes that we will have on the ground. “We expected also to have a lot more parents and more schools supporting. We looked at the security aspect of it and we decided that it is best that we include the scanners,” Alleyne said. Alleyne, the assistant director of sport at the National Sports Council (NSC), said they were not taking chances with patrons’ safety.


Funny nights
“These days are funny nights, and we want to ensure that patrons are comfortable. So we introduced the scanners at the gate. So far, it has been working out quite smoothly with the patrons and schools. We want to secure people at our event so that if there has to be anything, it is at a minimum.” Twenty security guards from A & C security firm have been deployed and operations officer Pierson Scantlebury said violent acts have contributed to the precautions being taken. “As you know because of the increase in crime, these things would have to be put in place. Persons coming to an establishment like this would like to know they can be free to enjoy the occasion. “We have certain measures put in place. We have right now a walk through scanner that can detect if persons are carrying any weapons. People bring things into the Stadium with their bags. The bags will be searched because we want safety for everyone. Our main interest to ensure the facility is safe but right now everything is on par,” Scantlebury explained. The beefed up security was lauded by several parents included Kenroy Crichlow. “I do not feel anyway about the security. I think it is a very good move. I do not have a problem with it because there are a lot of ignorant parents out there. I believe the scanner is a better vibration. It is about protecting the youth of today,” he said.  Another parent, Alison Holland, was in agreement with the measures.

Runs smoothly
“The meet runs smoothly but I think it is needed because you find that you are coming to events and when you go out things are happening. “Obviously, you have your children here so you want to make sure they are safe. I really did not have a problem with it. There was no hold up, everything was smooth,” Holland added.

by ANMAR GOODRIDGE-BOYCE This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Print